Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Toy R' Us Kid and the Year of Self-Improvement

So after weeks of searching for an apartment in Richmond only to have my roommates back out on me (it's not really their fault though), I've resigned myself to living in my parents' house for a year.

I'm working in my Dad's office for a year.

I'm teaching English to a Burmese Buddhist monk.

I'm teaching illiterate adults how to read.

I'm also taking classes at VCU which start tomorrow. Why? Four words: No Child Left Behind. In order to get into a teaching program for social studies I need more credits. Lots of work for a back-up plan.

I take the GRE on Saturday morning. Wish me luck. Wish me 700s.

I've decided to grow my hair really long. My sister thinks I'm going to look like a bum and maybe she's right. 23 seems like a good year to be a bum.

I've declared this year my year of self-improvement. I'm going to run. I'm going to go to the gym. I'm going to get huge or at least be healthy. I just got back from the gym. I'm 1 for 1.

I've started my personal statement to grad schools. I'm applying to schools all over this fine nation - from the purple mountains to the majesty. I could end up in Austin, TX or Durham, NC or even at Columbia (keep your fingers crosses New Yorkers). I just want someone to let me into their school. I'll be a great sociologist. I promise.

I apologize for not updating people all summer. It's nice to know Lucia was concerned about my silence. I didn't have anything exciting or new to write about and I felt like this blog didn't need anymore of my post-grad complaints.

Living in my parents' house will have one plus: drinking on the golf course at night. Also, my friend just got a job at the new club in town called The National (not the band although I did see them there) so I'll have a steady supply of free tickets.

Even though I'm only an hour from Williamsburg I'm going to pretend I live much farther away. Anyone planning on coming to homecoming? I'll go if anyone is down here for it.

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

a) I'll be going to homecoming
b) You have my editorial skills at your disposal for your personal statement
c) you also get to live rent free - which is pretty sweet

Charlotte said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aabeaton said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAw_9RsjfMo

read the comments. i do so miss the triangle.

Dean R. Edwards said...

I'll have you know I helped push the whole "Where's Dave?" movement on this blog. And I'll always be any help I can, too, Dave. Best of luck with everything, and you should grow your hair long -- it's a real thrill! (Sometimes I miss my own long hair.)

Lu, "la chelita" said...

homecoming is definitely a go.
but also we get to hang in like a month woooooohoooo!