Thursday, August 21, 2008

One Third

The main difference between undergrad and grad school is that on the last day of class, the faculty usually drinks with you and nobody really cares if you putter around the department booze in hand, which is cute.  I just finished summer class #3: Theatre and Performance in NYC, or, taking lots of disjointed field trips and not discussing screenings.  I'll spare you my crankiness and complaints; here are the highlights:

Berman
Simmel
Armitage Gone! Dance Company
Drag Queens
sharing eye-rolls with classmates.

My final paper is about dog piss, tentatively titled "Yuppies with Puppies."  Plus I get to summon Jane Jacobs into my tour de fire hydrants.

Everyone in my program is going home for the weeklong break between summer and fall classes.  I, however, will remain here for journal duties.  And my mom is visiting.  Like, visiting and staying with me.  Which is fine and all.  I have unisom and am forcing her into at least a loose schedule.  And I've given myself a two-night cushion of unwind time between her departure and the start of fall classes.

Fall classes.  We have some kind of orientation part deux, this time with the doctoral students who are still in coursework, which means us lowly MA students will have classes with them.  I am probably taking a class that's cross-listed with the Art & Public Policy/Arts Politics department, the exact ones are TBD.  I also get to meet/meet with my permanent advisor.  All of this means lots of fresh faces and oh, four day weekends.

Two of these weekends will be spent a) in East Lansing to visit my bestest bestest friend and b) at W&M for the 7g new kid show.  I think this makes up for not venturing home during this week's break.

OOH OOH and I found a ballet studio a couple blocks away from the Team Face Shoebox, and it's cheaper than BDC or Steps.  The stretching and releves have commenced in anticipation.  I can even take elementary pointe classes; it's been 4 years.  Whee.

Oh my good sweet lord, I have just stumbled upon an episode of How It's Made that features MOZZARELLA AND PANTY HOSE.

kthxbai.

1 comment:

Cait. said...

HOW MUCH IS BALLET? I WANT IN. I WANT IN. I WANT IN. BUT I'M POOR.