Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Brief Thought on Warrenism--wait, Christian Fundamentalism

I know there's probably a lot to say and that has been said about Rick Warren, and perhaps you've arrived at your opinion about him, but I'd like to say here that I'm astounded by Obama's choice for the Inauguration's Invocation.

Although I am atheist, I think there are hundreds of better choices of clergy to hoist up on stage rather than this clerical demagogue. Not only does he spew plenty of virulent homophobia and Christian superiority during his sermons and public appearances -- both of which I've been tracking for some time -- he's such a perfect example of the modern Christian fundamentalist, and the danger those individuals pose to our political society.

All of his sermons at Saddleback Ranch--er... Church-- they're completely frustrating. Honestly, didn't we have enough of W. Bush spouting off things like "God told me to free the Iraqi people"? How is that sentiment any more ridiculous than Warren's statements like, "I don't hate gay people; it's God's word, not mine"? [That sentiment can be seen here. Of course, the Saddleback web site has changed with the times. Oh, for the times!] They're both tantamount to the religious hubris that infects this country.

This brief entry was spurred by an earlier thought I had today, about our imminently-sworn-in President-elect Obama: What if the man said, "It's God's will to have a public, government-sponsored health care system in the United States"? I can imagine the same men and women who defended W. Bush's publicly-funded, government-sponsored and God-inspired wars would be up in arms. "Blasphemy! He's invoking God's name for a public agenda!" The difference is trivial and equally sickening.

There is plenty more to say, but I'll save that (and much more) for my time in NYC with you wonderful people. So, for now, I'll say, Rick Warren & Christian fundamentalists, enjoy your moment in the limelight. Time willing (and with some enlightenment in this country over the next... err... several centuries!), moments like these are going to be harder to snatch.