Thursday, June 5, 2008

E-----s gives a report


Hello all. Well, it turns out today was the day. I'm the new editor for the Falls Church News-Press starting in July. I get to work with layout, interns and a really great staff of progressive Virginians. The newspaper is fairly fresh in the area, printing since 1991, and it's already been named one of the D.C. area's best liberal newspapers. What a great fit. More to come as I discover what the job entails and whether I can help the newspaper out.

As far as housing, my housemates (Ryan P----s, Meg G---t, and Cassie P----s; all fine W&M alum stock) are looking to settle in northern Virginia, somewhere around the Falls Church/Arlington area. How convenient for me come July when I begin work.

Senator Obama's rally at the Nissan Pavilion was tremendously exciting, too, even if we were in the nosebleed section. I went to the rally with our fellow blog contributor, Mr. Dan P---------g, my sister and several others. This man, Mr. Obama, is a phenomenal public speaker and, well, a true phenomenon in this crucial election year. Of course we can be cynical about politics and question how much substantive "change" will come out of a new president in the White House, but compared to the eight years of Mr. Bush, Mr. Obama promises so much more. What's more, his promise seems genuine and attainable; it's easy to get somewhere when we've practically hit rock-bottom politically.

For one, I am very excited about this new era we're embarking upon as young graduates, young professionals and the latest generation to wedge our way into the job market. The thrill of employment and "professionalism" is great, despite the sublime feeling of the whole experience, the unknowing future we face in the decade ahead. At the very least, we should have a young president and a decent change from the political climate we've known since high school in 2001.

Definitely more to come from this alumnus.

4 comments:

Cait. said...

congrats on the job, dean!!!!! yaaaaay!!!!

DEP said...

Congrats again, friend. YES WE CAN.

Would you mind removing my last name from this post? It is singularly Googleable, and I'm anal about what employers might dredge up when they run it through that Spotlight of the Information Age.

Thanks.

sbthac said...

Congrats, sir!

Dean R. Edwards said...

Thank you, kind friends.